I It’s Friday, I’m in Love with this Rad-ish Flatbread
My taste buds were so happy that this idea panned out! This flatbread has a wonderful vegan tzatziki inspired sauce, caramelized onions, sautéed radishes, radish greens, green bell pepper, and habanero.
The first step is to get the dough rolling. Then start on the oh so easy and delicious sauce.
For the vegan tzatziki inspired sauce I started by soaking ¼ cup cashews in water over night. I have forgotten to soak the cashews in the past and found that even soaking for a few hours softens them up enough. Or you could soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and then rinse them in cold water. Pulverizing softened cashews with liquid creates a nice creamy consistency to mimic the yogurt found in traditional tzatziki. Tzatziki is served cold and usually contains at least cucumber, garlic, and lemon juice. I opted for lime juice in this sauce with cucumber, garlic, and nutritional yeast. I refrigerated the sauce while waiting for the dough to rise. Since I wanted the tzatziki to remain cold I fully cooked the dough before adding the good stuff.
While waiting for the dough to rise I prepped the vegetable toppings. I started the onions on medium heat in a pan with olive oil. After a few minutes I reduced the heat letting the onions caramelize and brown slowly. I stirred the onions frequently. This took about ½ an hour. When the onions were done I set them aside in a bowl. I waited to sauté the rest of the vegetables until the flatbread was in the oven.
When the flatbread was fully cooked and golden brown it was removed from the oven and topped. I spread the cold tzatziki sauce over the flatbread left ½ an inch around for the crust. I then layered the flatbread with the caramelized onions, sautéed radishes, radish greens, and bell pepper. Sliced and Served.
Makes 2-3 Servings
For the dough
3/4 cup Warm water
2 ¼tsp or 1 package rapid rise yeast
1¾ cup AP flour or bread flour
½ TBSP Kosher salt
Olive oil spray or 1/2 TBSP olive oil for brushing over dough before baking
For the sauce
¼ cup cashews soaked overnight and rinsed (see note)
1 medium cucumber peeled and seeded and slice into ¼” pieces
1 TBSP nutritional yeast
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup water
2 TBSP lime juice
For the toppings
1 TBSP olive oil
1 Medium white onion sliced
2 medium green peppers sliced into rings
1 habanero, sliced remove seeds and ribs
1 bunch of radishes with greens, rinsed and remove stems
- Start the dough. Stir yeast into warm water. Add 3/4cup flour and stir until well combined. Set aside, covered, for 10-15 minutes. When mixture has bubbled and risen, stir in salt and ½ cup for flour to start forming the dough. Pour out dough onto a clean, floured surface; start to knead adding in flour as needed to obtain a smooth and slightly tacky dough ball. Dust a bowl with flour, place dough ball in bowl, flour top of dough ball and cover. Leave dough ball to rise in a warm area until doubled in size. Depending on temperature, rise could take ½ -1 hour.
- While waiting for dough to rise prepare the sauce by adding cashews, 1/2 of the cucumber, nutritional yeast, salt, water, and lime juice to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add remaining cucumber and pulse a few times leaving chunks of cucumber in the sauce. Refrigerate sauce.
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil over medium heat add onions. Stir and cook onions for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and let the onions cook for about ½ an hour. When onions have caramelized and browned place them in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- When dough has doubled in size gently place on a floured surface. Gently stretch dough to a rectangular shape about 10”x12”. Place dough on cutting board covered with parchment paper. Let dough rest for10-15minutes.
- Brush or spray dough with olive oil. Transfer dough to middle oven rack by sliding parchment paper off of cutting board. Bake dough on parchment paper until crust is golden brown.
- While dough is baking, sauté radishes, and bell pepper for a few minutes add radish greens. Cook for a few minutes more and remove from heat.
- Remove fully baked flatbread from oven. Spread cold tzatziki sauce over flatbread, leaving ½” an inch or so for crust. Top with caramelized onions, and sautéed vegetables. Slice and serve.