Split Double Green Pea Soup with Collard Greens
It’s about that time of year when I need to go through the pantry, refrigerator, and freezer to take inventory and regroup. I do this at the end of each season to keep the dried and raw stock such as legumes, grains, and seeds fresh. I store seeds and nuts in the refrigerator since they contain natural oil that can become rancid when exposed to light and heat.
The first bag I came across was split peas. I could definitely go for some split pea soup. It was rainy all weekend, as a matter of fact we have had record breaking rain for almost two weeks. Reminds me of the Northeast yet I am currently living in a high plains desert. Gabe brewed beer yesterday so I decided to feed him a hearty split pea soup while he was at it.
Split peas are a great source of fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals, and they are low in fat. Check out The World’s Healthiest Foods for in depth nutritional information.
I had just picked up a nice bunch of organic collard greens and a big bag of frozen organic green peas (fresh green peas would be great if you have them). I rinsed the collard greens and removed the thickest part of the stems, stacked the leaves and sliced them into one inch squares. I steamed the greens adding them to the soup at the end. I defrosted the frozen peas slightly, then added them to the finished soup to heat thoroughly. I wanted the peas to keep their vibrant green color so I was careful not over cook them.
This soup is very easy to prepare. Split peas take about 30-45 minutes to cook and do not require soaking.
You could use the spices you have on hand to make your own curry powder or you could buy on like this… Thai Green Curry from Savory Spice Shop. This curry powder contains: green and red chiles, galangal, cumin, coriander, shallots, garlic, cilantro, lemon grass, Lampong pepper, kaffir lime leaves.
As a meal serves 2
1/2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1″ piece of ginger, minced
1 cup dried green split peas, rinsed
2-4 cups collard greens, sliced in 1″ squares with tough stem part removed
1/2 cup fresh cooked or frozen green peas, defrosted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 TBSP curry powder
2 TBSP lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 3-4 quart soup pot. Add onion and cook for 5-10 minutes. Add ginger and garlic stir and cook until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Stir in split peas and 3 cups of water. Adjust heat to high and boil for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer until split peas are soft, about 30-45 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp. salt and all of the curry powder.
- In a spate pot steam collard green for 5-10 minutes. Salt greens well when fully cooked.
- While cooking greens add split peas to blender or food processor, careful to let steam escape as blending. Add 1/2 cup of water or so to obtain desired consistency of soup.
- Return blended soup to soup pot add fresh green peas, and steamed collard greens. Cook until soup and green peas are heated through.
- Add lime juice, stir well, and serve.